Friday 23 February 2018

Honor Among Thieves - Book Review


Honor Among Thieves (The Honors #1)
by Rachel Caine & Ann Aguirre


What is it about:
Petty criminal Zara Cole has a painful past that’s made her stronger than most, which is why she chose life in New Detroit instead moving with her family to Mars. In her eyes, living inside a dome isn’t much better than a prison cell.

Still, when Zara commits a crime that has her running scared, jail might be exactly where she’s headed. Instead Zara is recruited into the Honors, an elite team of humans selected by the Leviathan—a race of sentient alien ships—to explore the outer reaches of the universe as their passengers.

Zara seizes the chance to flee Earth’s dangers, but when she meets Nadim, the alien ship she’s assigned, Zara starts to feel at home for the first time. But nothing could have prepared her for the dark, ominous truths that lurk behind the alluring glitter of starlight.


What did I think of it:
I've been eager to read this book ever since I heard Ann Aguirre read a part of it at the Love Letters Convention in Berlin last year.

And it doesn't disappoint. Have you heard me grumble about human looking aliens in the past? This book has proper aliens!

The Leviathan are a very intriguing species and I loved learning about them and the Honor program. It's clear they have their own agenda, and slowly Zara and the reader learn more about them.

Zara and her crew mate Bea were both great characters. I loved that they connect with each other from the start, and that there's no jealousy/competition between the two, as is often the case in YA. I also loved Nadim and the way he interacted with the girls.

The overall story was very cool, and the hints of the larger world out there had me eager to find out more and to keep reading. There's suspense, danger, secrets, and some really exciting action.

There was just one minor thing that bugged me, and that I myself would have left out, but it's too spoilery to go into it here, and it wasn't big enough to diminish my enjoyment.

The ending was not a cliffhanger, but there are lots of things Zara will have to deal with, and it did leave me hungry for the next book. You bet I'll get my trotters on it when it releases.

Why should you read it:
It's an awesome SF YA read.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: