Tuesday 8 August 2017

World Tree Girl - Release Day Book Review


World Tree Girl (Shadow Valley Manor #2)
by Kerry Schafer


What is it about:
The girl with the full-body tattoo of a world tree is not just another runaway. She's dead, for starters, and her veins are emptied of blood and oozing a strange, jelly-like substance. To Maureen Keslyn, seasoned paranormal investigator, former FBI agent, new owner of the Shadow Valley Manor Retirement Home, this isn’t just a corpse. It’s a sign that the Medusa, a dangerous paranormal hybrid, is on another killing spree.

Maureen and her team—Jake, the local sheriff, Matt, the Shadow Valley Manor cook with knife skills that extend beyond the kitchen, and eighteen-year-old Sophronia, who has an uncanny affinity for ghosts—are determined to hunt down and eliminate the creature.

Their case is complicated by the ghost of Maureen’s former partner, Phil Evers, who refuses to cross to the other side, and his very much alive daughter Jillian, who shows up demanding to know how Maureen inherited the Manor. When Sophronia uses her power to try to help Phil across, a huge spirit storm blows up at Shadow Valley Manor, and she disappears. With the life of one of their own in deadly peril, Maureen and the team have a ticking clock to find Sophronia and bring down the Medusa.


What did I think of it:
I pre-ordered this book as soon as it was available, but release day drew near and still no word from bookdepository that they would start to ship anytime soon. Luckily the awesome Kerry Schafer offered me a digital review copy so I could read the book early while waiting for my print copy to arrive.

And this is yet another great read!
There will be book hugging once my print copy arrives.

While this book is perfectly readable as a standalone, I'm going to tell you to get your hands on Dead Before Dying first, because you will want all the Maureen you can get!

Maureen sure knows how to find trouble, and when she doesn't find it, it manages to find her.

I was on the edge of my seat and couldn't put the book down. I had to find out if the Medusa was indeed on a killing spree, who was involved, and if Maureen would be in time to rescue those she loves.

I will confess I did want to scream at Maureen from time to time to be more resolute to those people who bothered her. She was being much too polite in my opinion. I would have lost my temper and booted them out of my manor if I was her.

That aside this is a wonderful, action-packed and suspenseful read. Maureen is awesome, but the other characters are all really cool as well. I especially loved Mac and Sophronia, but Jake and Matt are also great.

And the ending! Wow! I need the next book! Let there be a next book!

All in all I loved this book and will keep an eye out for news on this series and anything else Kerry writes.

Why should you read it:
It's a really cool and suspenseful Paranormal read


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: