Wednesday 22 February 2017

More Than Exes - Book Review by Voodoo Bride


More Than Exes (Chasing the Dream 0.5)
by Elizabeth Briggs


What is it about:
He wants to win. She wants to win him back.

Keyboardist Kyle Cross may look like a bad boy with his tattoos and piercings, but he’s really the good guy who’s always stuck fixing his band’s problems and never gets the girl. His band is competing in a Battle of the Bands, but when their bassist doesn't show, Kyle must track her down with the help of the person he least expects: his ex-girlfriend Alexis Monroe.

Kyle hasn’t seen Alexis since she dumped him in high school, and she’s dropped her preppy image for fiery red hair and a bold new attitude to match. With only hours before his band goes on stage, Kyle has to be a little bad if he wants to win both the Battle and the girl he's never gotten over. But when their old problems resurface, the good guy might just get his heart broken all over again.

A stand-alone prequel novella that launches the Chasing The Dream series.


What did Voodoo Bride think of it:
I'm usually not into Contemporary Romance, because I often have a hard time to connect with the lead characters (some rare exceptions aside). I know this might sound weird, because I read a lot of UF and PNR. But for an alternative geek like me it's easier to connect with the leads in those books. They're often different from those around them, get judged by it, etc... While in Contemporary Romance the lead characters are often the kind of women I have nothing in common with. Women who know how to use make up, have a fabulous career, and look at me sideways because I dress alternative and wear combat boots. Well... that became more personal than intended when I started writing this.

Anyway: It was with some hesitation I picked this book up, but it was a novella I got for free, and I really enjoyed Briggs' YA book Future Shock.

And on the first page I was introduced to Kyle, an alternative guy who likes the same music I like. He's not even the bad boy who needs to be "fixed" by a pastel colored girl: he's a nice guy who got dumped for being alternative. Oh yes: I fell in love right way.

The whole story is told from his perspective, and I rooted for him from the start. I could totally understand why he is wary of his ex, even though she seemed to want him back. I enjoyed reading how they feel each other out after three years apart, and how Kyle struggles with his feelings.

This being a novella, the development of their relationship is quick, but still believable. The romance was both sweet and hot.

I also really loved some of the other characters and wanted to know even more about them. After finishing this novella I did some investigating and those characters have their own book! One is even about comics!

So you can bet I'm buying the first book in this series soon, because this is Contemporary Romance I can relate to.

Why should you read it:
It's a sweet Contemporary Romance read.


Buy from bookdepository

visit Briggs'website to see if it's still free

No comments: