Monday 11 April 2016

Wicked as They Come - Book Review (repost)

I haven't done much reading, so I'll be reposting some reviews this week.


Wicked as They Come (Blud #1)
by Delilah S. Dawson


What is it about:
When Tish Everett forces open the ruby locket she finds at an estate sale, she has no idea that a deliciously rakish Bludman has cast a spell just for her. She wakes up in a surreal world, where Criminy Stain, the dashing proprietor of a magical traveling circus, curiously awaits. At Criminy’s electric touch, Tish glimpses a tantalizing future, but she also foresees her ultimate doom. Before she can decide whether to risk her fate with the charming daredevil, the locket disappears, and with it, her only chance to return home. Tish and Criminy battle roaring sea monsters and thundering bludmares, vengeful ghosts and crooked Coppers in a treacherous race to recover the necklace from the evil Blud-hating Magistrate. But if they succeed, will Tish forsake her fanged suitor and return to her normal life, or will she take a chance on an unpredictable but dangerous destiny with the Bludman she’s coming to love?

What did I think of it:
When I read the blurb of this book and it mentioned a magical traveling circus I knew I had to read it.

And it doesn't disappoint.

Dawson's writing style is pleasant and I loved the world she created. It was both scary and wonderful with all the blood drinking creatures, the steampunk elements, the travelling circus and the dark depressing cities.

I fell in love with Tish from the start, she's a likeable person who has had some blows dealt to her, but didn't let that get her down. And then there's Criminy! When he stepped into the story, wearing a ridiculous waistcoat and a cocky grin I knew I was going to love this book if only for him.

Luckily enough Criminy isn't the only thing this book has going for it. It's a beautiful, dark Victorian fairy tale full of action, conspiracies, romance and bludbunnies. (Yes: vampire bunnies!!! Isn't that cool!?)

All in all I very much enjoyed this book and i'll keep an eye out for the next book in this series.

Why should you read this:
Vampire bunnies!!!


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

2 comments:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I've heard many good things of this book. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I still need to get to this series. :)

Demented Wench said...

I read the first chapter of this on Amazon.com and really enjoyed it. It's been on my "To Be Read" list for an embarrassingly long time (I killed my Kindle, but I swear it was an accident).