Monday 19 October 2015

Dark Alchemy - Book Review (repost)


Dark Alchemy (Dark Alchemy #1)
by Laura Bickle


What is it about:
Geologist Petra Dee arrives in Wyoming looking for clues to her father's disappearance years before. What she finds instead is Temperance, a dying Western town with a gold rush past and a meth-infested present. But under the town's dust and quiet, an old power is shifting.

When bodies start turning up - desiccated and twisted skeletons that Petra can't scientifically explain - her investigations land her in the middle of a covert war between the town's most powerful interests. Petra's father wasn't the only one searching for the alchemical secrets of Temperance, and those still looking are now ready to kill.

Armed with nothing but shaky alliances, a pair of antique guns, and a relic she doesn't understand, the only thing Petra knows for sure is that she and her coyote sidekick are going to have to move fast, or die next.


What did I think of it:
I'm a big fan of Laura Bickle, so I was very excited when I got the opportunity to read an ARC of Dark Alchemy.

And this book is so good!

Petra is someone who's had some hard blows dealt to her by life, and hopes to find some peace in Temperance. Looking for her father is part of trying to get her life back under control.

Instead of finding peace she's thrown into chaos though.

I loved Petra. She's a survivor. She also is someone who cares about others more than herself, and that makes her a bit rash at times. Throwing herself in danger to help others. She even befriends a coyote, who soon becomes her sidekick, helping her in ways that go beyond the loyalty of an ordinary pet.

And then there's Gabe.

Gabe is one of those people who Petra tries to help, but he's not as human as Petra thinks he is. He is mysterious, a bit creepy, and more than intriguing. Some parts of this story are told through his eyes, making you understand a little of what he is and what he feels. I absolutely loved Gabe from the start.

I loved the mood of this book. It's dark and intense, as is the story. I was totally engrossed in it and had a hard time putting it down. I wanted to keep reading and find out if Petra would conquer the ghost of her past, and would uncover the secrets of Temperance.

This book made me fear for the lives of my favorite characters, it gave me chills, and it made me cry. It's a very intense and beautiful read.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next book in this series, because I want more.

Why should you read it:
It's a beautifully dark read.


Find buy links here

1 comment:

Blodeuedd said...

I so wanna try this one