Friday 24 April 2015

Site Unseen - Book Review



Site Unseen (Emma Fielding Mystery #1)
by Dana Cameron


What is it about:
Brilliant, dedicated, and driven, archaeologist Emma Fielding finds things that have been lost for hundreds of years--and she's very, very good at it. A soon-to-be-tenured professor of archaeology, she has recently unearthed evidence of a 17th century coastal Maine settlement that predates Jamestown, one of the most significant archaeological finds in years.

But the dead body that accompanies it--a corpse washed ashore near the site--has embroiled Emma and her students in a different kind of exploration.

With her reputation suddenly in jeopardy--due to the ruthless machinations of a disgruntled rival--and a second suspicious death, heartbreakingly close to home, Emma must unearth a killer among the artifacts. But that means digging deep into her past to dark secrets buried in the heart of the archeological community--which, in turn, could bury Emma Fielding.


What did I think of it:
I love Dana Cameron's Fangborn series, so I was curious about her earlier Emma Fielding series. The first couple of books are out of print, but I managed to hunt down a second hand copy of Site Unseen. (Yes, I know: I could have gotten the ebook, but I wanted a print copy.)

When the book arrived I was about to start on another book, but decided to have a peek at the beginning of Site Unseen...

Yup: I got hooked right away and read it immediately instead of letting it wait its turn. It's that good.

I liked Emma from the start, and soon was rooting for her. The archeological dig she's working on was very interesting to read about (and having Time Team on in the background helped set the mood, I must say), and when the mystery part kicked in I almost couldn't put the book down. I had to know what was going on.

This isn't a fast paced mystery. There's a slow pace at which things progress, but still I was hooked. Both by the developing story, and the way this book is written.

All in all this is a really enjoyable read, and I will most certainly try to get hold of all books in this series, because I want more.

Why should you read it:
It's a very compelling Mystery.


This book is out of print, but available as ebook here

No comments: