Friday 12 December 2014

Project 17 - Book Review


Project 17
by Eliza Victoria


What is it about:
Lillian is merely looking for a babysitting job for the summer, but a desperate man named Paul Dolores hires her to look after his 28-year-old brother, Caleb.

Caleb is suffering from schizoaffective disorder, and Paul, who is about to start on his first office job in a long while, wants to make sure his brother takes his medication on time.

Lillian, at first hesitant, accepts the job for the pay and the perks, but soon starts to wonder about the brothers she is working for. How come she can’t find any information online about the drugs Caleb is taking? And how come the national central database lists them as dead?


What did I think of it:
This should have been a novel instead of a novella.

The story is intriguing and suspenseful, but because of the length it is resolved too quickly.

While reading it I found myself thinking how this story could easily have been stretched into a longer one. I found myself plotting where I would have added scenes and events to build up even more tension before things happened or were discovered.

Maybe this makes it sound as if I didn't enjoy the story. I did! I just really wanted there to be more of it.

The characters were very interesting. I especially had wanted to find out even more about Caleb. The story is set in a near future and the world building was really good as well, but again: I wanted so much more than I got.

All in all this is a really enjoyable story that I finished much too soon. I would try other books by this author if I could easily get hold of them.

Why should you read it:
It's a really cool Futuristic read.


1 comment:

Aurian said...

Glad you enjoyed this. I am not really a fan of anything remotely medical.