Saturday 16 August 2014

City of Glass - Book Review


City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments #3)
by Cassandra Clare


What is it about:
To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the third installment of the New York Times bestselling series The Mortal Instruments.


What did I think of it:
This series continues to entertain me.

Even though the story keeps being predictable I'm really enjoying these books. I love the setting, the characters and the action.

There are times I want to kick some sense into Clary, but that is nothing new. I feel that urge with lots of YA heroines and heroes. There also was the usual teen romance misunderstanding, angsting, and stuff like that, but not too much to get annoying.

There's lots of action, a decent amount of Magnus, my favorite character, and the introduction of some interesting new characters. I will confess there was even one event that did surprise me, and that I was a little sad about.

Lots of things I already saw coming in earlier books, happened in this book though, and although there's still a lot left to resolve, this book does tie up a lot of lose ends. There's still three books to go in this series, but for those wanting to take a break, this book is a good stopping point.

I however already have book 4 in my tbr-pile and might even give the prequel series a try as well, because predictable as this series is, it's also very entertaining and nicely written.

Why should you read it:
It's a very entertaining and enjoyable Paranormal YA read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: