Sunday 1 June 2014

The Forever Song - Ranty Book Review


The Forever Song (Blood of Eden #3)
by Julie Kagawa


What is it about:
Vengeance will be hers.

Allison Sekemoto once struggled with the question: human or monster? With the death of her love, Zeke, she has her answer.

Monster.

Allie will embrace her cold vampire side to hunt down and end Sarren, the psychopathic vampire who murdered Zeke. But the trail is bloody and long, and Sarren has left many surprises for Allie and her companions - her creator Kanin, and her blood brother, Jackal. The trail is leading straight to the one place they must protect at any cost - the last vampire-free zone on Earth, Eden. And Sarren has one final, brutal shock in store for Allie.

In a ruined world where no life is sacred and former allies can turn on you in one heartbeat, Allie will face her darkest days. And if she succeeds, her triumph will be short-lived in the face of surviving forever alone.

THE FINAL HUNT IS ON.


What did I think of it:
I will warn you I might get spoilery.

Anyway...

I had really looked forward to reading this book, because I very much enjoyed the first two books in this trilogy. And this book started out cool. Allie is tracking Sarren, helped by her creator Kanin and her blood brother Jackal. Things were progressing slowly, but were cool enough for me to be totally engrossed in the story.

I really enjoyed reading more about Kanin and Jackal. They are very intriguing characters, and even outshone Allie in this book in my opinion.

Sarren is playing devious mind games with everyone, and I was eager to discover if and how the heroes would stop him.

Then somewhere near the end something happened that ruined the whole book for me...

Yes, I will now become ranty and spoilery!






Pointless character death!

I won't tell which character to not be completely spoilery, but I was so angry!

It started out ok. A character sacrifices him/herself to stop something really catastrophic from happening. So far so good. It was emotional and I was devastated. If that had been it, I could have lived with it, and this book would have ended up a great read.

But no!

After this character is dead, the remaining characters do stuff that also results in the catastrophe being averted. So... the character who died, sacrificed him/herself for nothing! Total pointless sacrifice!

What annoyed me most, was that so easily it could have been written differently, making the sacrifice worthwhile. Ok, there would have been a higher death-toll than there was now, but the sacrifice would have meant something, instead of it being there just for the emotional effect it has on the reader.

I felt cheated. I was angry. I didn't enjoy the remainder of the book, because this event left a bad taste in my mouth.

Now I will confess it might be personal. Maybe others wouldn't even notice how totally unnecessary the sacrifice was. Maybe I just over-think things. Still, I ended up angry and disappointed, and I certainly won't reread this book. I might reread the first two books, because those were really cool.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool Post-Apocalyptic YA read (mostly).


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

3 comments:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Oh, man! That's a horrible twist. =(

Ranty reviews are often more informative than positive reviews or polite negative reviews--and this one is no exception!

miki said...

i prefer informative and honest review so if it means you rant a little no problem.
honestly i think it would bother me too ( unnecessary death)so i guess i'm relieved not to have started this series

Aurian said...

Wow that sounds bad. I do have this author on my wishlist, but it will take a while before wishlist becomes TBR.