Wednesday 28 May 2014

Frost - Book Review


Frost (The Frost Chronicles #1)
by Kate Avery Ellison


What is it about:
In the icy, monster-plagued world of the Frost, compassion might get a person killed, and Lia Weaver knows this better than anyone. After the monsters kill her parents, she must keep the family farm running or risk losing her siblings to reassignment by the village Elders. With dangers on all sides, she can't afford to let her emotions lead her astray.

But when her sister finds a fugitive bleeding to death in the forest, a young man from beyond the Frost named Gabe, Lia does the unthinkable. She saves his life.

Giving shelter to the fugitive could get her in trouble. The Elders have always described the advanced society of people beyond the Frost, the "Farthers," as ruthless and cruel. Lia is startled to find that Gabe is empathetic and intelligent-and handsome. And she might even be falling for him.

But time is running out. The monsters in the forest are growing bold and restless. The village leader is starting to ask questions. Farther soldiers are searching for Gabe. Is compassion-and love-worth the risk? Finally, when a startling discovery challenges everything she thought was true about her life, Lia realizes exactly what she must do.


What did I think of it:
This is a nice read.

I will confess it wasn't as suspenseful, or as emotional as I had hoped. Another problem I had with this story is that Lia never really grew on me. I couldn't get a sense of her. There could have been more glimpses into her thoughts and emotions in my opinion.

The setting was intriguing, but could have been expanded on as well. Some things didn't make sense to me.

Still this is an enjoyable, although unsurprising read. There are some things that happened (and some characters) that make me curious where Ellison will take this series next. I'm not sure if I'm curious enough to give the second book a try though.

Why should you read it:
It's an enjoyable YA Fantasy read


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

3 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I think I would get annoyed :/

Aurian said...

I am not intriguied by the blurb, and sad you did not enjoy it more. Hope your next book blows your socks of :)

Nina said...

It sounded really great, but now I'm not so sure.