Friday 30 May 2014

Armchair BEA - Zombies

Today I could pick my own topic, so of course I picked zombies!
The below post was (mostly) posted before in 2011 at Ex-Libris as a guest post.


I’m a big fan of zombies. Zombie book, movies, games: I can’t get enough of them.

I will confess I bought some books purely because there was a mention of zombies on the back.

But it has to be a specific kind of zombie for me. A real zombie to me is an undead, rotting monster with a craving for brains or flesh. A real zombie is the enemy, the evil that has to be fought. No people falling in love with zombies and vice versa for me (apart from the rare exception).

So why zombies?

Zombies are almost always equal to a great, exciting story. I mean: “Plague/virus/whatever kills off a lot of humans, but they rise again as undead monsters hungry for the flesh of those who survived the plague” is a plot that is difficult to turn into something boring (although it can be done sadly enough) and lends itself as a perfect backdrop for any kind of story.

Let me give you a few examples.


100 Days in Deadland by Rachel Aukes
This is a totally awesome Post Apocalyptic read that I can advice to anyone who loves a good zombie story. It has so much emotion and a gritty, action-packed story. That it's a remake of Dante's Inferno is a bonus, but believe me: you don't need to have read it to enjoy and love this book.

Soulless by Christopher Golden
Sure there are zombies and they’re doing their best to eat their way through humanity in a gruesome way, but above all this Young Adult book is about human nature and how people act in a crisis, about what makes one person a hero and another a coward.

Once Bitten, Twice Dead by Bianca D’Arc
The action storyline of this Paranormal Romance is all about fighting zombies hungry for human flesh, but in between the fighting and surviving there’s some hot romance, maybe even more intense because of the danger the lead characters face.


Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter by A.E. Moorat
In between the werewolves, demons and bloody zombie mayhem there are some very interesting historical facts to discover.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies are just the thing that can convince your zombie loving friends to finally read this all time classic. There's also a graphic novel made out of this book, for those who love to have some visuals to go with the story.

Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry
This post-apocalyptic Young Adult story is filled with zombies, but apart from that it’s a beautiful story about family and how a 15 year old boy finds his place in life.

-----------

So there you go: Everything is better with zombies!

Seriously: If you like lots of action and excitement, if you aren’t afraid to be a little disturbed by what you read, if you want a story that holds you on the edge of your seat: you really should consider picking up a zombie book.


And you?
Is there a creature or trope you can't get enough of?


8 comments:

Holly said...

I have enjoyed a few zombie horror books. Some that come to mind are the first 3 books in the Deadlocked series by A.R. Wise; the first 2 books in the Zombie Fallout series by Mark Tufo. I also recently enjoyed (though not near as heart pounding and gruesome) The World Without a Future by Nazarea Andrews. I don't want a steady book diet of all things zombie but I do enjoy reading them on occasion. Great post!

Holly @ Words Fueled by Love

Andi said...

This is such a fun post! I'm keen to encounter zombies in a different way, so I'm excited to read Warm Bodies later this year.

Library Educated said...

Oh my gosh, that Queen Victoria cover is hilarious.

Becky B. @ Bibliognome said...

I have to agree with you zombies are always cool. I love the books that I've read of the White Trash Zombie series

Chris Wolak said...

OMG, Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter??? I have to check that one out! I have not yet read a zombie novel, but I think 2014 might be the year to make it happen. My favorite monster is the vampire. I like 'em mean and nasty, not sexy and romantic. :)

Sullivan McPig said...

I will confess I bought Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter for the cover and the tagline: She loved her country, she hated zombies. I couldn't resist. luckily it is a cool read.

Chrisbookarama said...

I've read a few zombie books. They're always fun. I Am Legend (more vampire/zombie combo), Zone One, The Forest of Hands and Teeth, and Married With Zombies (really funny). I have P&P&Zombies but haven't read it yet.

From Head To Tale said...

I think that I am one of the few people that didn't like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith.

I have added your suggestions to my TBR list. 100 Days in Deadland by Rachel Aukes sounds especially good.

Thanks for sharing.