Tuesday 29 April 2014

Deadland's Harvest - Book Review


Deadland's Harvest (Deadland #2)
by Rachel Aukes


What is it about:
It has been one hundred days since the zombies claimed the world. Cash, along with forty-two survivors, have found safety in the secluded and well-guarded Fox National Park. The leaves are changing colors, a beautiful, brutal reminder that winter is coming. As the survivors prepare for freezing months without electricity and not enough food, they learn of massive zombie herds several hundred miles north…and headed their way.

To save the park, Cash must find a place for the survivors to hide from the migrating herds. If Cash and her small band of volunteers don’t succeed by winter, the Fox survivors just may become Deadland’s Harvest.

(Deadland’s Harvest is a journey through Dante Alighieri's classic tale on the seven deadly sins… zombie apocalypse style!)


What did I think of it:
Some of you might remember how much I loved 100 Days in Deadland, the first book in this trilogy. So you can imagine how excited I was when I got a digital copy of Deadland's Harvest for review.

And this book is awesome!

Aukes uses the seven deadly sins as a guideline for her story, but in such a way that it doesn't interfere with your reading pleasure. You can easily identify the sins in each part of the story, but the things that are happening, the action, and zombie mayhem make sure you are totally engrossed in the story.

The story starts where 100 Days in Deadland ended, and with only a small reprieve Cash and her friends are once again caught up in the horrors of the zombie apocalypse. The story is intense and full of action. Zombies, greedy humans and more make surviving difficult. There's lots of death and destruction going on, and Cash and those close to her have to fight for survival. I was hooked from the start and had trouble putting the book down. I had to keep reading to find out what would happen next.

Aukes doesn't pull any punches and there were some gruesome scenes and deaths that shocked me. I can say I was glad that most of my favorite characters survived, although not without wear and tear. And the ending...

It's not a cliffhanger ending, but so many things have happened, so many things might still happen: I seriously need to get my trotters on the last book in this trilogy!

If you haven't started on this trilogy yet, I can only tell you to pick up the first book asap, because these books are so good. You can count on it that I'll be rereading this book, and I'm stalking bookdepository, so I can buy this book in print as soon as possible.

Why should you read it:
It's an awesome zombie read!


Find buy links here

1 comment:

Aurian said...

Great review Sullivan, and a great concept. But still, zombies, no, not for me.