Monday 10 March 2014

Delirium - Book Review


Delirium (Delirium #1)
by Lauren Oliver


What is it about:
Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't.

What did I think of it:
I enjoyed Oliver's Before I Fall, but not enough to easily spend money on more books written by her, so it took getting a gift certificate before I decided to pick up Delirium.

And this is a really beautiful read!

As with many Dystopian settings I had to suspend disbelieve a bit. Love has been ruled a disease that has to be cured, and people who love get locked away... Yeah...

But once I took that idea for granted I was sucked into the story. Lena is a great lead character and I rooted for her from the start. I even could understand why she longs to be cured of love.

Then she meets Alex and her perception of the world is challenged.

I loved how Lena's world is shaken and how she starts to learn to think for herself. This isn't so much a story about love, but about finding yourself, taking a stand for what you believe in, and making choices.

And the ending!

I know this is a trilogy, but honestly: the ending of this book was just so perfect in my opinion, I'm almost hesitant to pick up the next book. But knowing myself I will want to know if the next book is just as beautiful as this one, so I will most probably get my trotters on it soon.

Why should you read it:
It's a beautiful Dystopian YA read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

2 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I really liked this one but book 2 was a disappointment and I have not read book 3

Aurian said...

I am glad you enjoyed it Sullivan. Not a series that calls my name though.