Thursday 24 May 2012

Underworld - Book Review

Underworld (Abandon Trilogy #2)
by Meg Cabot


What is it about:
Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.

Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera isn’t dead.

Not this time.

But she is being held against her will in the dim, twilit world between heaven and hell, where the spirits of the deceased wait before embarking upon their final journey.

Her captor, John Hayden, claims it’s for her own safety. Because not all the departed are dear. Some are so unhappy with where they ended up after leaving the Underworld, they’ve come back as Furies, intent on vengeance…on the one who sent them there and on the one whom he loves.

But while Pierce might be safe from the Furies in the Underworld, far worse dangers could be lurking for her there…and they might have more to do with its ruler than with his enemies.

And unless Pierce is careful, this time there’ll be no escape.


What did I think of it:
I'm a big fan of Cabot's Heather Wells books, so when I got this book as a gift I was more than curious to read it, even though it's the second book in a trilogy.

And it turned out to be a very enjoyable read.

Even without having read the first book I was quickly invested in the story and characters. Of course there were lots of referrals to things that happened in book one and which I didn't know about, but even without that information the story was intriguing and intense.

Cabot's writing style is pleasant as always, although in Underworld the tone of her writing is a bit more serious than I'm used to, but it fits the story perfectly.

I must confess I wasn't so sure Pierce and John made a good couple. They both are great characters, but they had some trouble communicating and I really hope for them they learn to do so in the last book or I do not see a happily ever after for them.

As for the ending of this book:
It was another ending that left things wide open and makes you annoyed you will have to wait for the final book to release. (Seems to be a trend in YA I'm beginning to suspect.)

All in all I really liked this book though and I'll be trying to get my trotters on book one, while waiting for book three to be released.

Why should you read it:
It's an original YA take on the myth of Hades and Persephone


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

1 comment:

Aurian said...

I do have a big problem when the female characters have a male name (and vice versa). Also, not into YA, so this time not tempted by you :)