Monday 19 March 2012

Little Demons - Book Review

Little Demons
by Marty Shaw

ebook, short story

What is it about:
Welcome to Hale (Pop. 666), where things aren’t always what they seem and the devil always gets his due.

After a car heist goes wrong, a narrow escape from the police has Frank driving into the little town of Hale, where he thinks he’s found the answer to his prayers.

An old farmer by the name of Crowley has won the lottery and Frank thinks it’s only fair the old man shares his wealth. Of course, Crowley’s daughter, Lilly, doesn’t mind sharing herself with Frank, either, which only makes life seem so much sweeter.

Unfortunately, this is Hale and the little town has more in common with that other ‘H’ place than Frank realizes. He thinks the old farmer and his sexy daughter are the perfect victims, but his opinion might change before the sun comes up… if he lives that long.

Little Demons, a novelette of approximately 11,600 words, contains scenes that include sexual situations and strong language.


What did I think of it:
I really enjoyed Shaw's zombie story 'Dead Man Walking' so when offered the chance to read 'Little Demons' I couldn't say no.

And let me tell you:
Little Demons is a very cool read!

It's creepy, it's a little bit scary and it's got pigs!
(Ok, I know: the pig thing is maybe just interesting for me, but still I think it's cool.)

Shaw manages to create a setting that's spooky and intriguing and I like the way he sets up his characters. Frank is a complete bastard, but still Shaw succeeds in letting me root for Frank. The other characters are really cool as well and I wouldn't mind Shaw writing more stories set in Hale.

It's well written and fast paced and I got the feeling Shaw's writing got a bit more smooth than it was in 'Dead Man Walking'.

The one negative thing I could say that it's a novelette, so much too short. But every good story is always much too short in my opinion, so that's not really a negative point at all.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool and creepy short story.


Buy this ebook here

1 comment:

M.A.D. said...

By golly, if it's got *pigs* then that's good enough for me ;D