Wednesday 7 December 2011

The Myth Of Mr. Mom - Book Review

The Myth of Mr. Mom
by Jeremy Rodden, Sonny Lemmons, Christian Jensen, Shawn Scarber, Toby Tate, Leo Dee, Charlie Andrews and Gerhi Feuren


What is it about:
The Myth of Mr. Mom is a collaborative non-fiction essay anthology written by stay-at-home dads that shares the personal stories of eight men from around the world.

The goal of the book is to help bring awareness to the fact that men are just as capable as women of being the primary caregiver, homemaker, and stay-at-home parent. We feel that there is a societal bias against stay-at-home dads that does not exist for stay-at-home mothers and seek to bring our stories to the public.

Filled with humorous anecdotes and eye-opening personal experiences, The Myth of Mr. Mom is simultaneously inspiring and entertaining.


What did I think of it:
This is not a book I would normally read, but because I really enjoyed Jeremy Rodden's Toonopolis: Gemini I decided to give this collection of essays a try.

And yet again I was reminded how rewarding it can be to step outside of your reading comfort zone once in a while.

This is a fun and interesting book to read. Being an open minded person myself when it comes to gender roles and such, I never would have thought there were so many prejudices against stay-at-home dads. The humorous way in which the authors in this anthology write about the prejudices and difficulties they encounter, show that they don't let themselves be taken down though. I think this book would be a great help to all those stay-at-home dads who suffer from the same kind of prejudice if only so they know they're not alone.

Other readers will certainly enjoy this anthology as well. It has many funny anecdotes and it will get you thinking about your own look at life and what hidden prejudices you might have.

As for the writing:
I enjoyed the writing of all the authors in this anthology. Because these are essays it's not a clear indication of their overall writing, but I'm going to investigate what other things these authors have written and see if there's anything that fits my reading tastes.

Why should you read it:
It's an interesting and fun collection of essays about stay-at-home dads


Buy from Amazon








3 comments:

Amy said...

Great review! I'll have to check this one out, it sounds interesting. Thank you for sharing! :)

M.A.D. said...

Anymore I've gotten lazy about stretching my *literary* horizons lol, but you're so right - new books & authors can prove quite enjoyable!!~

Next time you're in the mood to try something different, read "Funny Farm" by Jay Cronley [i think that's how you spell it]. While the movie blew chow, the book was honestly the funniest thing I've ever read and had me in tears - I promise you'll LOVE it!! :D

Sullivan McPig said...

@M.A.D: thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep an eye out for it.