Monday 7 November 2011

Queenie's Brigade - Book Review


Queenie's Brigade
by Heather Massey

ebook

What is it about:
Captain Michael Drake desperately needs an army to save Earth after a crushing defeat by alien invaders. When his damaged starship docks at a remote prison colony, he discovers Earth’s last best hope—an army to replace the one he lost.

But, Queenie, the feral goddess ruling the prison, has other plans for the rugged star ship captain. After imprisoning Drake and seizing his ship, she prepares to lead her blood-thirsty band to freedom before the invaders track them down.

Despite her intentions, Queenie secretly falls for the sexy, hotshot captain. Drake makes it plain he wants to win back Earth with her by his side. But is following her heart worth betraying her people?


What did I think of it:
This is an entertaining SciFi Romance adventure in a grim setting.

I liked Captain Drake, even though he was a bit too unconcerned at times about the predicaments he finds himself in. I also had an immediate connection with his crew and after a bumpy start even with Queenie. I really enjoyed the developing romance between Drake and Queenie.

What I did miss was a connection with Queenie's people, I'm not sure if it was the writing or if it is my personal likes and dislikes that were to blame for this though.

The story itself was intense and full of action. I liked the world building and the setting which gave a grim mood to the story, although it never felt truly desparate.

Overall this was an enjoyable read and the story lends itself for a sequel which I would certainly give a try.

Why should you read it:
It's a very entertaining SciFi Romance in a grim and intriguing setting.


Buy from Amazon

3 comments:

Amy said...

Great review! I haven't read this one yet, but it is definitely being added to my TBR list - thank you for sharing! :)

M.A.D. said...

Maybe it's me, but I've never trusted *feral royalty*. However, that captain fellow sounds pretty hot ;D

Bookish Brunette said...

Oooh sounds YUMMY! LOVE the cover!