Thursday 15 September 2011

Midnight - Book Review

Midnight (Dark Age Dawning #2)
by Ellen Connor


What is it about:
Three years of wandering the postapocalyptic wasteland has stripped Dr. Chris Welsh of hope. A harrowing loss drove him from his home, and he hasn't stopped moving-until he encounters Valle de Bravo, a haven of civilization amid the chaos of the Change. Soldiers take their orders from Rosa Cortez-the iron hand within a velvet glove. The last thing Rosa needs is a feral loner upsetting the town's tentative balance. However, for the good of her people, she lets Chris stay, and as bloodthirsty raiders strike again and again, Chris and Rosa battle hellhounds and dust pirates while also fighting desperate attraction. To save them, love must overcome the pain of the past-and build a future in this brutal Dark Age...

What did I think of it:
This book is pure awesomeness!

I already loved book 1, Nightfall, but Midnight is even better. I absolutely love the setting and world building. The Connor duo (Carrie Lofty & Ann Aguirre) sure know how to create an exciting, gritty and thrilling post apocalyptic world. I could talk for hours about the setting alone which is so immensely inspiring it made me really want to start writing my own post apocalyptic story. (Can you tell I have a weak spot for post apocalyptic settings ;-) )

The romance was intense and I loved Rosa and Chris.
Rosa is a really strong, kick-ass heroine, but with a vulnerability that she keeps hidden deep inside and which made her very loveable. I will confess I liked Chris much more in this book than in Nightfall. He sure did some growing up, so to speak. There are several really cool other characters as well and it's a shame none of them will (probably) show up in the last book in this trilogy (Daybreak) as I really would have loved to read more about some of them.

The action storyline was really cool as well and I liked how the Connor duo didn't fall back on the same dangers that were present in Nightfall, but instead created new dangers, which kept the story exciting and unique while it still is a perfect sequel to Nightfall.

I can honestly say this book will go on my favourites shelf and will be reread often. I'm already looking forward to the last book in this trilogy: Daybreak, which will be released in December.

Why should you read it:
Post Apocalyptic Awesomeness!


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

3 comments:

Michelle Greathouse said...

I am so glad to hear you liked this one. :) I enjoyed Nightfall and I am looking forward to Midnight.

M

Bookish Brunette said...

I still have to read Nightfall!! I'm staring at it now!!

Sullivan McPig said...

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did