Saturday 10 September 2011

Carnal Secrets - Book Review

Ok, before I start reviewing, let me tell you how I got to reading this book.

A while back I challenged Stella to read a zombie book I would pick out for her. In return she got to pick a book for me in a genre I'm not used to reading. The book she chose for me was Carnal Secrets.

Carnal Secrets by Nadia Lee
ebook

What is it about:
After a rapid change in management, Natalie Hall is surprised to find that she's being promoted so quickly. But when it becomes obvious that the new CEO is interested in her on a more personal level, she pushes him away -- she doesn't want to repeat her past mistake of giving her heart to the wrong man.

A self-made billionaire, Alex Damon has his own reasons for pursuing Natalie. Her adoptive father, a powerful U.S. senator, is using his political clout to protect his friends the Rodales, who Alex intends to destroy for ripping his own family apart when he was a child. Furthermore, he suspects that Natalie is spying for the Rodales.

What he hasn't planned on is her unflinching sense of loyalty and integrity, the sizzling attraction between them that threatens to turn into something much more, and the dark secrets that can destroy them both.


What did I think of it:
I'm not a big fan of Contemporary Romance and while reading this book I was constantly reminded why that is.

Don't get me wrong: It's decently written, the romance is hot and the two lead characters are likeable. It was all the corporate and political blah that got on my nerves. I read books to lose myself in a story and to forget about the real world. All the business talks, corporate struggles and stuff made it all feel much too close to home.

And then there was one thing happening in the romance that had me all outraged as well. I wish I could rant about it without spoiling things for those who haven't read this book yet, but I can't, but let me tell you there's one thing happening that is too irresponsible for words and it is waved off with a single sentence! I really would have wanted a better explanation than is given in the book, as it really ruined the romance storyline for me.

So conclusion: Contemporary Romance is not my thing, but it's good to be forced to go outside your comfort zone once in a while and give another genre a try.

Why should you read it:
For lovers of Contemporary Romance this is a great read

No comments: