Monday 16 May 2011

Blood and Spirits - Book Review

Blood & Spirits (The Coming Storm Trilogy Book 1) by Dennis Sharpe

What is it about:
Small-town life can be hard for a dead girl...

For Veronica Fischer the night to night life of a bloodsucking madam in Middle America is tough enough before she adopts Rachel Gregory, an eight year old ghost.

After her house is set on fire, and Rachel disappears, all signs point to foul play. When she finds herself with a hit out on her unlife, and warrants for her arrest, it becomes clear she's going to need help.

Now she has to contend with horny zombies, violent spirits, and murderous grave robbers if she's ever going to find Rachel and discover the awful truth of the coming storm.

A raucous ride through the dangerous lives of the lecherous undead.


What did I think of it:
A promising start of a trilogy even though the horny zombies bit was totally different from what I had expected. This story is much grittier than I thought after reading the blurb, but that's absolutely not a bad thing. The characters are intriguing and the story suspenseful and disturbing from time to time. There's multiple viewpoints which gives you more insight in what's happening, but Veronica is the main viewpoint character and she's a cool and interesting character at that. Being the first book in a trilogy it luckily hasn't got a cliffhanger ending, but it does set itself up nicely for more action in the next book. My one problem with this story was the use of present tense. As some of you might know by now, I'm no fan of present tense and the use of it in this book kept drawing me out of the story, making it a slow read for me.

Why should you read it:
It's a suspenseful and gritty story with vampires, ghosts and horny zombies.


Buy from: Amazon

1 comment:

Demented Wench said...

Vampires, ghosts, and zombies oh my!

I'm slowly (emphasis on the slow part) making my way through "She Smells The Dead" right now but maybe I'll read this one next.