Friday 8 October 2010

The Rest Falls Away - Book Review


The Rest Falls Away by Colleen Gleason
(The Gardella Vampire Chronicles #1)


What is it about:
In every generation, a Gardella is called to accept the family legacy of vampire slaying, and this time, Victoria Gardella Grantworth is chosen, on the eve of her debut, to carry the stake. But as she moves between the crush of ballrooms and dangerous, moonlit streets, Victoria's heart is torn between London's most eligible bachelor, the Marquess of Rockley, and her enigmatic ally, Sebastian Vioget. And when she comes face to face with the most powerful vampire in history, Victoria must ultimately make the choice between duty and love.

What did I think of it:
Having read Northanger Castle, Gleason's contribution to the anthology Bespelling Jane Austen, I was very eager to read this book and I was glad to discover it was just as cool as I had hoped. Next to this being a story about vampires and vampire hunters, this book is about choices and I really liked how this theme was apparant throughout the story without it becoming preachy or forced. The Regency setting added to the story in my opinion and was well described. Victoria is a strong, though at times (too) stubborn character, but also very likeable. My favourite character in the book has to be Max, a fellow vampire hunter, his brooding demeanor was a nice contrast to Victoria's innocence. All in all a great start of a series and I will most certainly pick up the next book.

Why should you read it:
Regency Vampires!

7 comments:

Aleksandra said...

Sounds great! I'll have to get this one :)

Nina said...

This does sounds like a great vampire book!

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

I really liked this series. I love that the whole series is out and I didn't have to wait for any of the books :)

Anonymous said...

I like contrasts of dark characters with innocence. I'll keep this in mind.

Michelle Greathouse said...

I've seen these books around - but never picked one up. I may have to revisit. :)

Great review.

M

Sullivan McPig said...

Thanks everyone!

vvb32 reads said...

regency vamps. ok, sounds good to me too.