Friday 6 August 2010

Here There be Monsters - Short Story Review

*
Here There be Monsters by Meljean Brook (from the Anthology Burning Up)

What is it about:
Two years ago, blacksmith Ivy, desperate to flee London, purchased her overseas passage by agreeing to spend the voyage in the bed of the pirate captain, Mad Machen. Saved at the last minute by his rival, Ivy scraped out a new life in Fool’s Cove…until Mad Machen finds her, forces her to accept a job that will create a monster, and reminds her that she still owes him the price of a journey…

What did I think of it:
This Steampunk story is part of an anthology that's all about hot paranormal romance, so not too surprisingly the focus of the story is a romance, which is quite intense and worth reading all by itself. That being said: for a short story there's some amazing world building and Brook paints a Steampunk setting that has me excited and hungry for more. There's even mention of zombies, although unfortunately enough it's just a mention, but as this story is a set up for a series I think we can expect the zombies to make a real appearance in future stories. I really like how the characters in this story are affected by the Steampunk influences around them both physically and mentally and I must say I'm looking forward to reading the next book in this series - The Iron Duke - to learn more about this cool and intriguing world and the characters that populate it.

Why should you read it:
Steampunk and Pirates! Need I say more?

* I won this book at vvB32 Reads and this review is entered in vvB's Iron Seas Challenge

(expect a review of the other stories in this anthology soon)

5 comments:

Emily said...

I just finished Burning Up this morning and it's now one of my favorite anthologies, especially because of this story! I'm so excited for The Iron Duke now. Great review! :D

LesleyW said...

Looking forward to reading this. Though amazonuk says it's not available until October.

Sullivan McPig said...

That's weird. Bookdepository has it shipped in 48 hours: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780425235959/Burning-Up

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Awesome! I am part of vvb32's challenge too :) Can't wait to read it!

LesleyW said...

Have ordered it from the book depository. Thanks for the heads up. :)