Thursday 6 May 2010

Character Connection

We all have characters we love. Let's spotlight these fantastic creations! Whether you want to be friends with them or you have a full-blown crush on them, you know you love them and want everyone else to love them too!

Character Connection host by
TheIntrovertedReader.blogspot.com


Todays pick for character connection are the Poppy Warriors from 'Rebel Angels' by Libba Bray. The above picture isn't a Poppy Warrior, but the closest I could find.

Why do I love the Poppy Warriors? They're so cool!! I'll post the description from the book:

"They step from the shadows, half a dozen or so of the most grotesque creatures I have ever seen. Dressed to the very last one in tattered, filthy white robes over ancient chain mail and sharp, steel-toed boots. Some have long, matted hair that trails over their shoulders. Others have shaved their heads bald, the cuts still fresh and bloody. One fearsome soul has but one long strip of hair in the center of his head, running from forehead to collar. His arms are ringed in bangles, and about his neck is a necklace made of finger bones.
....
I am afraid to look at the man in front of me, but at last I do, into eyes that are rimmed by black kohl in a diamond shape. it is like looking into a living Harlequin mask."


I can honestly say I loved the Poppy Warriors right from the start. They're cool, scary and insane. The prefect bad guys! For those who are roleplay and wargame geeks like me: The Poppy Warriors are a nice mix of Malkavian and Harlequin.
Sadly enough their role in the book is much too short!

6 comments:

Jen at Introverted Reader said...

Very cool picture. I have something by Brom on my list. The Child Thief? Something like that.

I really should finish up Libba Bray's series. I've read the first one but that's it. These Poppy Warriors sound awesome!

Sullivan McPig said...

That would indeed be the Child Thief. I'm waiting for my bookstore to get that one in paperback as the hardcover is very expensive. I love his artwork, so very curious if he can write just as well.

The Book Mole said...

Very nice picture. THe Poppy Warriors sound like interesting bad guys - I can picture that Harlequin mask!

Jen at Introverted Reader said...

I saw your comment on my Book Blogging Buddies post. If you want to sign up, you don't have to give each other books or swap them. It can just be a penpal kind of thing where you give each other recommendations or encouragement. I am probably going to show my profound ignorance of life in other countries, but if you did want to sign up and give each other books, could you use Book Depository for that? They have free shipping to a lot of countries around the world. I would just hate for you to miss out on something you might like to do.

Sullivan McPig said...

You have point there! Hmmmm, will think about it some more.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Ooooh, a bad guy Character Connection! I like it! ;-)

Sad to say, I've never heard of Libba Bray. I will have to look her up, then!