Saturday 10 April 2010

Size 12 is Not Fat - Book Review

Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot

What is it about:
Heather Wells Rocks!
Or, at least, she did. That was before she left the pop-idol life behind after she gained a dress size or two -- and lost a boyfriend, a recording contract, and her life savings (when Mom took the money and ran off to Argentina). Now that the glamour and glory days of endless mall appearances are in the past, Heather's perfectly happy with her new size 12 shape (the average for the American woman!) and her new job as an assistant dorm director at one of New York's top colleges. That is, until the dead body of a female student from Heather's residence hall is discovered at the bottom of an elevator shaft.


What did I think of it:
To be honest I skipped over this book in the store as reading the title and seeing the cover I thought it would be a much too girly book about fashion or female drama or something.
But then a friend told me to read it as it was really cool, so I gave it a try.

And let me tell you: looks are deceiving!
It's not about girly issues at all, but instead this book is a very funny and decent murder mystery. It has some romance too, but it has lots of action and amateur sleuthing. Cabot's writing style is witty and humorous and even though you want to hit Heather over the head as she's acting without thinking sometimes, she's also very likeable.

All in all a fun read!

Why should you read it:
If you like murder mysteries that are written with lots of humor, you will most probably like this book. There's two more books in this series sofar and at least two more to come according to Meg Cabot's website

book 2: Size 14 is not fat either
book 3: Big Boned / Size doesn't matter(Great Brittain and Australia)


And here's a sneak peek of some books I hope to be reviewing somewhere in the (near) future, but expect other reviews before that time:

The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong

Soulless by Christopher Golden

Zombie, An Anthology of the Undead edited by Christopher Golden

And I can tell you I also got something else planned, but I won't tell you what exactly yet, but it's going to be fun I hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The blurb got me at "dead body".

Sullivan McPig said...

Yeah, I must admit that the blurb is a bit blah blah and gets to the point very late.
That's why I'm glad my friend told me to read it as I didn't even read that far.